Search the Blog
- Books & Reading
- Broadband Buzz
- Education & Training
- Information Resources
- Library Management
- Nebraska Center for the Book
- Nebraska Memories
- Now hiring @ your library
- Pretty Sweet Tech
- Public Library Boards of Trustees
- Public Relations
- Talking Book & Braille Service (TBBS)
- What's Up Doc / Govdocs
- Youth Services
Tag Archives: emerging
What are the ‘Ethics Behind Emerging Technology’? Find out from our Technology Innovation Librarian, Amanda Sweet, on this Wednesday’s FREE NCompass Live webinar.
In the presentation on February 13, I covered what emerging technology is and how it relates to libraries. Now it’s time to dive into what that means on a larger scale. What makes technology good or bad? Who is really qualified to make that determination? Anyone who tracks emerging technology will start to think about how this technology will affect the future of our communities and the world. What will make a piece of technology influential and powerful in the world? Tune in if you want to learn more about the following topics:
- Which ethics matter most in technology?
- What makes technology good or bad?
- What potential dangers should we be aware of with new technology?
- What factors might affect society in the long-run?
There are no easy answers to any of these questions. The concept of ‘ethics’ tends to be a gray area for many, and understandably so. This presentation won’t give you a finite right or wrong stance on all technology. But it will provide you with the tools to make the decision for yourself.
Presenter: Amanda Sweet, Technology Innovation Librarian, Nebraska Library Commission.
Upcoming NCompass Live events:
- March 20 – Reading Diversely
- March 27 – Health Education Resources with the National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- April 10 – What is OER? Outstanding, Extraordinary Raw materials?
- April 24 – Connect to Meetings, and more…Experts, Virtual Field Trips with Zoom
For more information, to register for NCompass Live, or to listen to recordings of past events, go to the NCompass Live webpage.
NCompass Live is broadcast live every Wednesday from 10am – 11am Central Time. Convert to your time zone on the Official U.S. Time website. The show is presented online using the GoToWebinar online meeting service. Before you attend a session, please see the NLC Online Sessions webpage for detailed information about GoToWebinar, including system requirements, firewall permissions, and equipment requirements for computer speakers and microphones.