Learn how a planned celebration of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) launch evolved into a community-wide art show and led to new opportunities for collaboration on next week’s NCompass Live webinar, ‘Art Show! Where Art and Science Meet to Bring the Community Together’ on Wednesday, April 12 at 10am CT.
In 2022 our library was an official NASA host site for the JWST launch. We worked with a geoscience professor at Chadron State College to promote the launch through a variety of events, including an art show. We invited the community to imagine what the JWST might see and to express that as visual art.
The community and the organizers had a great time so we decided keep going. We held our second community art show in February 2023. Learn how we worked with the schools and community groups to plan, publicize and set up the show, and how a collaboration among scientists and artists led to an ongoing exploration of the intersection of science and art.
Presenters: Susan J. Rolfsmeier, Assistant Director, Chadron (NE) Public Library; Whitney Tewahade, K – 8 Art & Design Teacher, Chadron Public Schools; and Dr. Tawny Tibbits, Geosciences Professor, Chadron State College.
Upcoming NCompass Live shows:
- April 19 – Creative Aging Arts Program for Nebraska Libraries
- April 26 – Pretty Sweet Tech
- May 3 – Public Libraries & Wikipedia: Creative Collaborations
- May 10 – The 2023 Public Library Accreditation Process
- May 17 – Read the Rainbow: Serving the LGBTQ+ Community in Your Library
- May 24 – La Biblioteca Es Para Ti – Building Community Relationships in a Different Language
- May 31 – Pretty Sweet Tech: Bots for the Community!
- June 14 – Transforming Library Staff Learning Through Technology Skills Assessments
For more information, to register for NCompass Live, or to listen to recordings of past events, go to the NCompass Live webpage.
NCompass Live is broadcast live every Wednesday from 10am – 11am Central Time. Convert to your time zone on the Official U.S. Time website. The show is presented online using the GoToWebinar online meeting service. Before you attend a session, please see the NLC Online Sessions webpage for detailed information about GoToWebinar, including system requirements, firewall permissions, and equipment requirements for computer speakers and microphones.