First National Bank – 2nd Street, West from Hastings Ave. As you can see in Google Street view, this building is still standing today.
“The establishment of the town of Hastings was an afterthought with the men who settled upon the three homesteads which formed the original parts of town.” I don’t know if that is true but that is what Henry G. Smith wrote
in the Book of Hastings : a sketch of the town with illustrations
. This book, published in 1906, is available in Nebraska Memories.
The Book of Hastings tells the history of the area starting in 1869. In 1873, the Hastings Town Company (page 6
) was formed to develop the town of Hastings. On April 20, 1874, Hastings was declared an incorporated town.
Browsing this book, I learned a lot about the history of Hastings and the surrounding area. The book does not have a table of contents or an index, so I wanted to highlight some of the information available in this book.
- A number of railroads had service to or through Hastings over the years including the St. Joe & Grand Island, Burlington & Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley. (page 18)
- Juniata was selected as the county seat of Adams County in December 1871. Not everyone was happy with this. For years, folks fought to move the county seat to Hastings while others fought to keep it in Juniata.
The group supporting Juniata won the 1875 election but lost the 1877 election. They were not happy with the loss and contested the vote. The issue was finally settled by Judge Gaslin. (page 22)
- A fire in 1879 destroyed 33 buildings in the Hastings business district. Many of the wooden buildings that burned were replaced with brick buildings. Later that year the Burlington depot was destroyed to cover up a murder. Fires in 1881, 1890, and 1905 also destroyed many businesses in town. (page 28)
- At the time this book was written, there were 18 church organizations in Hastings. A brief history of each organization is included. (page 40)
- The Hastings Library opened in January 1888. It was run by the Library Mite Society until it was taken over by the city government. In the spring of 1905 the new Carnegie building was completed. The library contained about 6,000 volumes. Miss Mabel Stone was the librarian. (page 46)
- Hastings residents started discussing the possibility of building a college in 1873 however, Hastings College did not become a reality until 1882. J. J. H. Hewitt was the first student to graduate in 1887. Dr. W. F. Ringland was the president of the college for the first 15 years. (page 70)
- Starting on page 81 you can find lists of many of the towns first officials including the mayor and councilmen.
- Towards the end of the book you will find a list of “Personal Sketches of Early Settlers” (page 95) followed by a list of businesses titled “Among the Business Houses” (page 103).
- The book is also full of pictures of houses however; most of them are only labeled with the name of the current resident.
I hope you take a few minutes to learn more about Hastings by looking at the Book of Hastings : a sketch of the town with illustrations
Visit Nebraska Memories
to search for or browse through many more historical images digitized from photographs, negatives, postcards, maps, lantern slides, books and other materials.
Nebraska Memories is a cooperative project to digitize Nebraska-related historical and cultural heritage materials and make them available to researchers of all ages via the Internet. Nebraska Memories is brought to you by the Nebraska Library Commission. If your institution is interested in participating in Nebraska Memories, see http://nlc.nebraska.gov/nebraskamemories/participation.aspx
for more information, contact Devra Dragos
, Technology & Access Services Director.