Do you want to play with AI generated videos in your library? I just stumbled across a website called Kapwing that will allow you to generate short, watermarked videos for free. They also have a reasonably-priced Pro plan if you’re looking for a video editor with AI capabilities for your library, or want to offer this cool new service to patrons.
If you’re new to AI generated videos, this service allows you to enter a brief description, and Kapwing will automatically generate text, music, and video clips that match your topic. Adjust phrasing or trade out images to get an end result that works for you! You can also generate an AI Video Script using a similar process. Kapwing uses the ever-popular ChatGPT to generate the scripts.
I tried out both the AI Video Generator and the AI Video Script Generator and they are both alarmingly good. Here’s the video Kapwing generated when I entered “libraries supporting job seekers searching for meaningful work”. I didn’t do any extra editing. This is the video as is:
Want to try it yourself? Use these instructions:
- Go to https://www.kapwing.com/ai
- Choose AI Video Generator. Click Create a Video with AI.
- Look for “Create a Video About”. Click in the text box and type in a description. (ex. create a video about frogs traveling to Paris who are deathly afraid of French chefs)
- Press enter to generate video.
- Choose the video size. 16:9 aspect ratio is recommended for YouTube and standard screens.
- Choose the text style. Click Generate Video.
- Login or create a free Kapwing account. Click “Generate Video” again after logging in.
- Wait for video to load. The slower the internet, the longer it takes, as usual!
- Adjust images, text, and settings as needed.
- Click “Export Project” (upper right corner)
- Choose MP4 for video. 720p resolution is the highest possible for free version.
- Click “Export as MP4”. File may take a while to load.
- Click “Download” to save on your computer or flash drive.
Note: The free version only lets you store 3 videos at a time. To create more, download your videos, then delete them from your Kapwing account. Or just delete them if you don’t need an archive.
If you want longer videos, more videos, higher resolution, or no watermarks, you will need the paid version of Kapwing. It’s about $16/ month/ user (paid yearly), so if you generate a lot of videos for your library, it might be worth it! You also have the option to use Kapwing as a regular video editor, without AI. There are plenty of tutorials!
The AI Script Generator is freakishly accurate too if you want to speed up the process of making videos for your library! Have fun playing with AI!!