FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
February 9, 2023
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
$60,000 in Library Improvement Grants Awarded to Nebraska Public Libraries
The Nebraska Library Commission recently awarded Library Improvement Grants for 2023 totaling $60,000 to twenty-five Nebraska public libraries.
These competitive grants were funded with federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) monies from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). These Library Improvement Grants help to facilitate growth and development of library programs and services by supplementing local funding with federal funds designated for these purposes.
In order to be funded, projects had to meet one or more of the following LSTA Purposes listed in the Commission’s long-range plan:
- Facilitate access to resources . . . for the purpose of cultivating an educated and informed citizenry;
- Encourage resource sharing among . . . libraries for the purpose of achieving economical and efficient delivery of library services to the public;
- Promote literacy, education, and lifelong learning and to enhance and expand the services and resources provided by libraries, including those services and resources relating to workforce development, 21st century skills, and digital literacy skills;
- Ensure the preservation of knowledge and library collections in all formats and to enable libraries to serve their communities during disasters;
- Promote library services that provide users with access to information through national, state, local, regional, and international collaborations and networks.
Local libraries also had to provide at least a 25% match in order to receive the funds.
The libraries receiving grants are:
- Baright Public Library, Ralston
- Bayard Public Library
- Blair Public Library & Technology Center
- Butler Memorial Library
- Central City Public Library
- Clearwater Public Library
- Cordelia B Preston Memorial Library, Orleans
- Elmwood Public Library
- Franklin Public Library
- Fullerton Public Library
- Gering Public Library
- Grand Island Public Library
- Hoesch Memorial Public Library, Alma
- Kimball Public Library
- Lied Lincoln Township Library, Wausa
- Maxine White-Sutherland Public Library
- Mead Public Library
- North Platte Public Library
- Plainview Public Library
- Ravenna Public Library
- Shelton Public Library
- St. Edward Public Library
- Valley Public Library
- Valparaiso Public Library
- Yutan Public Library
The projects and services planned include: Touch screen kiosks, a microfilm and newspaper digitization project, indoor and outdoor furniture/shelving/cabinets, laptops/tablets/PC computers, outdoor book returns, a hydroponics tower, wireless printing/copying systems, certified career coaching classes, storytime materials, a Virtual Reality headset, telescopes, and an Owl 3 Conference Camera.
As the state library agency, the Nebraska Library Commission is an advocate for the library and information needs of all Nebraskans. The mission of the Library Commission is statewide promotion, development, and coordination of library and information services, “bringing together people and information.”
The most up-to-date news releases from the Nebraska Library Commission are always available on the Library Commission Website, http://nlc.nebraska.gov/publications/newsreleases.