Books aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. But they might be augmented! In fact, they already are. Check out this video from Quiver AR:
Quiver Augmented Reality is an app that can be downloaded for Android or iOS. Coloring pages can be downloaded and printed from Quiver’s website. There are a combination of free and paid options for coloring pages.
If you can color inside the lines, you can use this app. It’s a kid favorite, but fun for adults as well. Here are some quick setup tips and tricks:
- Go to http://www.quivervision.com/apps/ to download Quiver. Start with regular Quiver, then test out the others later.
- Download and print coloring pages: http://www.quivervision.com/coloring-packs/#
- In the Quiver app, press “Packs” in the middle of the screen. Choose and download the image pack for the coloring page you chose.
- After downloading, press the “Butterfly icon” in the upper right corner to access the app.
- Press the “Butterfly” icon at the bottom to access the camera
- Aim your camera at the coloring page. (You may need to tap the screen to focus).
- Watch your freshly colored image come to life!
- Repeat steps 2-7 with other coloring page packs.
As simple as that, books can come to life! Now imagine how this can affect book publishing in the future. Picture books just got a whole lot more interactive. Textbooks can have better graphics for improved learning.
We can also pair books with the real world. Imagine the world as your coloring book. Start with a textbook, then pull the digital image into the real world. Learning is about to get a lot more interesting.
It’s time to change the way we think about books. Who said I have to choose between eBooks and print books? I want both. Let’s start asking different questions in the library. Change the game.
P.S. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to find out how to build your own augmented and virtual reality worlds.