NCompass Live: Pretty Sweet Tech – Can Librarians Teach Robotics?
Can Librarians Teach Robotics? Find out on the next FREE NCompass Live webinar, on Wednesday, September 25, 10:00am-11:00am CT.
New special monthly episodes of NCompass Live! Join the NLC’s Technology Innovation Librarian, Amanda Sweet, as she guides us through the world of library-related Pretty Sweet Tech.
Robots have been relatively popular in library makerspaces and after school programs. But do we really know what a robot is and why we need robots in the world? Can librarians tackle robotics? If we’re going to teach robotics, this information can be helpful. This session will cover the following topics:
- What is a robot?
- How are they being used in the world?
- Robots inspired by fiction and other fields
- Which coding concepts can be learned from a toy robot?
- Good robots to use in your library makerspace
- Pros and cons to teaching robotics in the library
I’ve been teaching Lego Mindstorms EV3
for a few years now and have learned a great deal during the process. A great deal of this presentation also comes from consulting experts in the field at conferences, reading articles from technology-based organizations like the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), various TED talks, and a variety of other sources. Hopefully this inspires your library to pick up a robot and start playing!
Upcoming NCompass Live events:
- Oct. 2 – NO NCOMPASS LIVE THIS WEEK – ENJOY ILA/NLA/NSLA!
- Oct. 23 – Nebraska Extension’s ‘Read for Resilience’ Program
- Nov. 6 – Feeding America: Gardens, Seed Exchanges, Summer Meals, and More!
- Nov. 20 – VoteLibraries 2020 – Thinking About Elections and Libraries Without Being Partisan
For more information, to register for NCompass Live, or to listen to recordings of past events, go to the NCompass Live webpage
NCompass Live is broadcast live every Wednesday from 10am – 11am Central Time. Convert to your time zone on the Official U.S. Time website
. The show is presented online using the GoToWebinar online meeting service. Before you attend a session, please see the NLC Online Sessions webpage
for detailed information about GoToWebinar, including system requirements, firewall permissions, and equipment requirements for computer speakers and microphones.