This week we’re focusing CE for all those wonderful library board members!
Below is a list of resources with helpful reference information for new and current library board members (or for anyone curious what library boards do), followed by several upcoming or recorded webinars.
- Nebraska Library Board Manual – NLC
- Public Library Board Certification and Continuing Education -NLC
- Friends, Trustees & Volunteers – WebJunction
- United for Libraries* – ALA
- Working Effectively with Your Library Trustees – United for Libraries*
- “[L]earn tips and strategies for working effectively with your Trustees. Topics include orientation for new Trustees, understanding roles, meetings, emergencies, and effective communication.”
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion: What Library Trustees Need to Know – United for Libraries*
- “This workshop will help trustees and library directors understand how to incorporate EDI into policy development, strategic planning, funding initiatives, board development, and more.”
- Troubled Library Boards: Prevention & Survival – United for Libraries*
- “What essential practices can prevent or minimize board problems? When a board does become dysfunctional, how can those involved survive and create change?”
- Library Accessibility – What Public Library Trustees Need to Know (RAILS)
- “In this webinar…Renee Grassi will equip Library Trustees with the information and tools they need to be more effective accessibility advocates for their library communities.”
- Build a Culture of Learning with Library Boards – WebJunction & ARSL
- “Trustees can and should play a key role in fostering a culture of learning at their libraries – beginning with themselves. When library boards embrace a learning culture, they become more receptive to supporting continuing education, in policy, planning and budgeting.”
- The Rural Library Trustee: Roles, Responsibilities, and Relationships – WebJunction & ARSL
- “will provided you with practical ideas and tactical strategies to support and advocate for your library organization as a trustee, or library director in a small or rural community.”
- Toward Tech Savvy Trustees – WebJunction & ARSL
- “The more that trustees are dialed into a personal use of technology, the better advocates they will be for the library’s technology needs. Learn some fun and practical ways to inspire greater tech savviness in your trustees.”
*The Nebraska Library Commission has prepaid for all Nebraska public library directors, members of Friends organizations, Foundation boards, and trustees to participate free of charge in online training and access to education resources offered by the American Library Association’s United for Libraries. Please contact Holli Duggan or Linda Babcock for login information.
For webinars and CE: If you would like to earn continuing education (CE) credit and are enrolled in the Nebraska Public Librarian Certification program, please submit a “CE Activity Report Form” after each webinar.
If you have any questions about continuing education, please contact Holli Duggan.