Join us for next week’s NCompass Live, “2016 One Book One Nebraska: The Meaning of Names“, on Wednesday, June 22, 10:00-11:00 am Central Time.
In this twelfth year of One Book One Nebraska, Nebraska libraries and other literary and cultural organizations continue to plan activities and events to encourage all Nebraskans to read and discuss the same book. Join us to hear more about this statewide reading promotion activity, sponsored by the Nebraska Library Commission, Humanities Nebraska, and the Nebraska Center for the Book.
We are very pleased to announce that our featured guest will be Karen Gettert Shoemaker, author of the 2016 selection, The Meaning of Names.
Join Nebraska Library Commission Director Rod Wagner and Nebraska Library Commission Communications Coordinator Mary Jo Ryan to:
- Learn about how to create a successful local reading promotion using Nebraska’s year-long, statewide celebration featuring The Meaning of Names, by Karen Gettert Shoemaker.
- Brainstorm strategies to read and discuss The Meaning of Names, a Nebraska-set novel with a World War I backdrop, which follows a German-American woman trying to raise a family in the heartland and keep them safe from the effects of war and the influenza panic, as well as from violence and prejudice.
- Find tools to help engage your community in local activities to encourage them to come together through literature to explore this work in community-wide reading programs.
- Learn about the Celebration of Nebraska Books, set for October 29, which will celebrate this book, along with the winners of the 2016 Nebraska Book Awards.
Upcoming NCompass Live events:
- June 29 – Innovating Access to Information with Libraries Without Borders
- July 6 – Making Your Catalog Work for Your Community: How to Develop Local Cataloging Standards
- July 13 – Libraries on the Edge
For more information, to register for NCompass Live, or to listen to recordings of past events, go to the NCompass Live webpage.
NCompass Live is broadcast live every Wednesday from 10am – 11am Central Time. Convert to your time zone on the Official U.S. Time website. The show is presented online using the GoToWebinar online meeting service. Before you attend a session, please see the NLC Online Sessions webpage for detailed information about GoToWebinar, including system requirements, firewall permissions, and equipment requirements for computer speakers and microphones.