Join us for next week’s NCompass Live, “STEAM @ Your Library”, on Wednesday, October 7, 10:00-11:00 am Central Time.
Libraries have started moving away from being places of consumption and are becoming places of production. Libraries are about discovery; giving people a safe and comfortable place to dream, think, and create is very important because it gives people a chance to explore various technologies and educational opportunities that they can use to enrich their lives. STEAM education refers to teaching and learning, mostly hands-on, in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. There are several ways to incorporate the STEAM educational framework into your libraries and this webinar will touch on the following and more:
- Learn what STEAM is
- Creating and managing a collaborative learning space, oftentimes referred to as a makerspace
- Administering a robotics league
- Organizing learning events
- Partnering with businesses and other organizations
- Assessing the success of your programs
Presenter: Chad Mairn, Information Services Librarian, adjunct professor, and Innovation Lab Manager, St. Petersburg College (FL).
Upcoming NCompass Live events:
- Oct. 14 – NO NCOMPASS LIVE THIS WEEK – Enjoy the 2015 NLA/NSLA Annual Conference!
- Oct. 21 – Introducing Two New Library Guides
- Oct. 28 – The Golden Sower Award: Nebraska’s Children’s Choice Literary Award
- Nov. 4 – 2016 Nebraska Library Internship Grant Program
For more information, to register for NCompass Live, or to listen to recordings of past events, go to the NCompass Live webpage.
NCompass Live is broadcast live every Wednesday from 10am – 11am Central Time. Convert to your time zone on the Official U.S. Time website. The show is presented online using the GoToWebinar online meeting service. Before you attend a session, please see the NLC Online Sessions webpage for detailed information about GoToWebinar, including system requirements, firewall permissions, and equipment requirements for computer speakers and microphones.