I am thrilled to let you know that Ellen Klages, author of our current [obsolete link removed] One Book for Nebraska Kids, The Green Glass Sea, would like to visit Nebraska! We are planning to have her arrive in Scottsbluff on Sunday, October 11, ready to talk with students and library patrons starting Monday morning. She will travel across the state (visits have not yet been determined) and leave from Omaha on Sunday, October 18. Yea! And the best part is she emailed me offering to come to Nebraska! Wow!
We have decided to ask public librarians and media specialists to let me know if you are interested in hosting a visit from Ellen Klages. Her route through Nebraska will be determined by 1) who is interested and 2) what is physically possible. So it will be a little bit like a raffle – having your name pulled out of a hat – with the addition of needing to be sure the route will not completely wear Ellen and I out.
We have only a few requirements:
1) You send an email to me stating that you are interested, and tell me you have already had a group of children/students/tweens read and discuss the book or will have before Ellen’s visit.
2) Reading her book is a requirement – copies are available from each of the library systems and from the Library Commission, some copies have already been reserved, it is first come, first served.
3) You agree to hold an “after” event, anything from a discussion session about what Ellen Klages shared with everyone during her visit to having your students research something about the atom bomb or World War II. What your event is, it is up to you.
4) If there is a great deal of interest we will end up pulling names out of a hat.
5) You are not eligible if you hosted Ben Mikaelsen during his visit (unless no one requests a visit from Ellen)
Please let me know if you are interested no later than 4pm CDT on September 4, 2009 so we can set up the route!
Coordinator of Children and Young Adult Library Services
Nebraska Library Commission
1200 N Street, Suite 120
Lincoln, NE 68508-2023
800-307-2665 or 402-471-2045
Search the Blog
- Books & Reading
- Education & Training
- Information Resources
- Library Management
- Nebraska Center for the Book
- Nebraska Memories
- Now hiring @ your library
- Public Library Boards of Trustees
- Public Relations
- Talking Book & Braille Service (TBBS)
- What's Up Doc / Govdocs
- Youth Services